Freelance editor rates vary wildly, which can be frustrating and stressful when searching for capable professionals to partner with you during your project timeline. My editing rates are on par with many of my respected peers and have their roots in the editing rates recommended by the American Editorial Freelancers Association.
Whether you are going to self-publish or sell your manuscript to a publisher, the cost of hiring a freelance editor is always a concern. Please keep in mind that our rates for editing the genres listed above tend to be a little lower than what’s listed on these sites.
Depending on the length of your manuscript it usually takes one month or more for a manuscript to go through all the stages of editing. I usually block off chunks of time as follows:
- 0 – 300 page manuscript
- Weeks 1 and/or 2 are for developmental and line edits, as well as manuscript assessments
- Weeks 3 and/or 4 are given for our clients to apply suggested changes and revisions
- Week 5, or the last week of contract, are for final spot check and change verification
- 301 – 500+ page manuscript
- Weeks 1, 2 and/or 3 are for developmental and line edits, as well as manuscript assessments
- Weeks 3, 4 and/or 5 are given for our clients to apply suggested changes and revisions
- Next month week 1, or the last week of contract, are for final spot check and change verification
For more information click here
If you plan to use my services, please be clear about the dates surrounding your manuscript so that we can notate those dates and timeline within our own calendar to deter any interference. If a date or timeline isn’t discussed your manuscript will be placed on our queue which means it’ll be finished when we get to it, but we try to stay within the timeline mentioned in our Editorial FAQs.
For any changes or cancellations please contact us prior to completion so that your invoice reflects the work done accurately.
While we try to accommodate an author’s timeline as best as we can, we choose not to overwhelm ourselves by accepting last-minute manuscripts. Please be aware that I work on the manuscripts in the order I receive them for the month scheduled. Thanks!